With summer just around the corner, the time to ‘get into your best shape’ is fast approaching. I have worked with hundreds of clients, 95% of which want to look and feel good. I have put together my 5 top tips to give you the best chance of getting in the shape you want over the next couple of months:
1. Reduce your calorie intake - to lose weight you must burn more calories than you eat, i.e. be in a calorie deficit, and to do this you need to know how many calories you are currently eating. An App I recommend is ‘MyFitnessPal’ which is a simple way of understanding how many calories you’re consuming. Once you know what this is, reduce it by 10% (usually 300-500 calories per day).
2. Resistance train - The BEST method to lose fat and gain muscle is to perform resistance based exercises. Studies have shown that the average woman who resistance trains 2-3 times per week for 2 months will gain around 2 pounds of muscle and lose around 3-4 pounds of fat. As your muscle increases so does your resting metabolism, which means you burn more calories.
3. Walk 10,000 steps per day - Depending on your weight, walking 10,000 steps burns between 250 and 600 calories. These calories over a week total up to 2,000 - 3,500 extra calories per week.
3. Drink more water - Get yourself 3 water bottles; keep one at work, one in your car and one where you spend most time at home (lounge, study, bedroom). By doing this, you will always have a source of water nearby to prompt you to keep hydrated.
5. Make yourself accountable - This can keep you on the right track. A personal trainer can help with feedback and to monitor your progress. I train clients at their homes or in a gym environment, but I am in constant contact with them between sessions to make sure they feel fully supported.